Sunday, January 18, 2015

ARC Review : One Of The Guys by Lisa Aldin

Sunday, January 18, 2015
Title : One Of The Guys
Author : Lisa Aldin
Genre : YA Contemporary
Publication Date : February 10th, 2015
Publisher : Spencer Hill Press

GOODREADS

Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her.

Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni’s connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine’s Rent-A-Gent Service.

But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends--the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love.
 


*I receive an arc in exchange of honest review. Thank you Spencer Hill Press for the book!

At first, I didn't really like the idea of "sold your friend" thing. But as I read further, surprisingly, I enjoy the book. If you're looking for a light, no triangle-love and full of feels book, this one is for you!

Toni is a likeable character. Even I think she's a little too innocent, I like her. She's smart, a little sarcastic, and a hardworker. You can see that she--along with her partner, Emma--works really hard in their business. Beside Toni and Emma, there's also Luke, Justin, and Micah (aka the guys). Personally, I'd like to describe Luke as the loud one, Justin as the quiet one, and Micah as the sometimes-loud-sometimes-quiet one. Its another reason to love this book--the characters complete each other.

One thing that I adore most from this book is the friendship. The friendship in this book is cute. I kinda feel jealous and wish I had a friendship as strong as that. Even at one point their friendship is almost crumbling, they still could save it. Another reason I adore the friendship, is because they're still doing the same thing that start their friendship--finding a lake monster (though its silly, but still..)

The thing that made me give this book 3 stars is the ending. I feel that its too rushed. All the drama, the romance between Toni and the guy, and the friendship and the business problems are all resolved in the last 25 pages. Also, there's some scene that unimportant and unrelated with the problem at that moment. Instead of making a new scene that are unimportant, I think Lisa Aldin should have focused on resolving all the problems.

Despite the ending, I still enjoy this book. I will recommend this to everyone who's looking for a light reading!



2 comments:

  1. Aw it's a shame that the ending was partially why this book was a miss for you. I hate it when they rush endings! But yay for a good friendship--I'll have to check this one out.

    Fantastic review, Tiffany <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really hope that Aldin didn't rush the ending--I would love this book more!
      You should check this out Mel, I think the friendship will be worth it :))

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014